Poultry means domestication of birds for economic purposes. It includes chicken, pigeons, quails etc.
MANAGEMENT OF POULTRY FARMING
Managing of poultry farm in very important part for the growth of the birds and also for their better development, so it is very much important to have a well managed plan for their growth and development. The steps involved are as follows:
- CARE OF THE CHICK
- FEED MANAGEMENT
- LIGHT MANAGEMENT
- When it comes to selection, it is one of the most important and crucial part as it is required to select the disease free suitable breeds.
- Commonly Leghorn breeds are used for egg laying.
- So, it is important to select such breeds that are diseased free.
- The place where the chicks have to be kept should be well cleaned.
- Their should be no crowding of the birds.
- It should be Rainproof.
- The room should be such a way that predators do not enter the room and eat them up, so proper barrier should be implanted in such a way that predators do not enter, in order of making a barrier it should be seen that it do not hamper the chicks.
- Windows can be made of Wire mesh as it will not allow the predators and also will enhance ventilation.
CARE OF CHICK
- As the chick is brought to the place, it is served with sweetened water.
- They are 1st introduced with Maize dalia and afterwards given normal routine meal.
- Vitamins are also given in the 1st week.
The light management is divided into 2 topics,
- SUMMER MANAGEMENT
- WINTER MANAGEMENT
- The shed should be covered with grass.
- The shed should be provider with Sprinklers.
- The ideal temperature for egg laying is 12.7℃ to 30℃, so as the temperature increases it can result in Heat stroke.
- Birds do not have sweat glands, so it in necessary to maintain the temperature were they are kept.
- Crowding should be avoided.
- The temperature should be maintained above 15℃.
- As the temperature decreases, it causes stress among the birds, so it is necessary to maintain the temperature of the place where they stay.
- During winter, the consumption of food intake increases among the birds.
BREEDS OF CHICKEN
- INDIGENOUS CHICKEN
- The chicken that are found in India are called Indigenous chicken.
- AMERICAN BREED
- Plymouth Rock
- New Hampshire
- Rhode Island Red
- ASIATIC BREED
- MEDITERRANEAN BREED
Diseases will be discussed in the separate topic: Diseases of Animals.