It is the scientific method of rearing of Honeybees for obtaining honey and other useful products from the Honeybee.
- The word Apiculture is derived from the Latin word were ‘apis’, meaning bee, so it is the method of rearing of honeybee or bee- keeping method.
- Honey-bee belong to Apis species.
SPECIES OF HONEY-BEE
- Apis mellifera (Italian bee)
- Apis indica (Indian bee)
- Apis florea (Little be)
LIFE OF HONEYBEE
- The honeybee lives in a nest (house) known as BEEHIVE.
- They are Colonial insect.
- They are Polymorphic in nature. i.e they exist in several different forms.
- Consist of 3 different types of Individuals.
- WORKER BEE
- Large size
- Mostly one Queen per hive.
- Fertile Female
- Larva to be Queen is fed upon Royal jelly.
- The sting is curved and modified as egg laying organ called Ovipositor.
- They lay eggs of two kinds:
- Fertilized eggs
- Unfertilized eggs
- The fertilized eggs develop into females and the unfertilized eggs develop into male (Drone)
- Larger in size as compared to worker bee.
- Fertile male.
- Sting gland is absent.
- The function of the male is to fertilize the queen, a nuptial flight is taken and after copulation the male dies.
- Males develop from Parthenogenesis that too from unfertilized eggs.
- Smallest in size.
- Sterile female, thus do not produce eggs.
- The ovipositor is modified into sting, which is present at the tip of abdomen.
- The abdomen contains the wax gland and the sting.
- Their are different roles assigned to worker bee, and depending upon the kind of work they do ,the worker bees are named so.
- NURSERY BEE
- Function as a nurse bee
- Feed the larvae
- Clean the cell.
- HOUSEKEEPING BEE
- Storing nectar and pollen
- Cooling and warming the hive.
- Removing dead bodies.
- Storing nectar and pollen.
- FORAGER BEE
- The work of this bee is to collect nectar from distant sources.
USES OF HONEY-BEE
- Honey contains two sugars namely, Dextrose and Levulose which acts as a sweetening agent.
- It prevents wound infection
- Added in beauty products.
- Natural and valuable tonic for human body.
- BEE WAX
- It is used in Industries.
- Found in Paints.
- Found in furniture polishing.
- Honey bees are pollinator of many crops thus helps in pollination of many crops.
- MEDICINAL VALUES
- It is used in treatment of Diphtheria.
- It is used in treatment of Arthritis.