CAUSATIVE ORGANISM: Salmonella typhi (gram negative bacteria, a non- spore forming bacillus)
MODE OF INFECTION: Through direct contact, food, excreta from the carrier.
ORGANS INFECTED: Small Intestine & Colon.
INCUBATION PERIOD: 12-72 hrs.
- Abdominal pain
- Water stool
- Persistence increase in Fever
- Blood mixed with stool.
- Enteric fever
- Widal Test
- It determines the Agglutins against the antigen. Usually positive in 2nd week of the disease.
- Used of Antibiotics.
FAIL SAFE MECHANISM OF THE BODY:
- The HCl in stomach has the capacity to destroy salomnella that is ingested.
- The intestine produces short chain Fatty Acid which kills salmonella.
- A person suffering from Achlorhydria may suffer more often Typhoid.
- Whenever there is reduced on intestinal flora and occurs due to taking of too much of Antibiotics, the person is more prone to Typhoid.