CAUSATIVE ORGANISM: Clostridium tetani
MODE OF INFECTION:
- Clostridium tetani lives in the intestine of horse and many other animals and do not infect them.
- Through the animal dung the spores are released in the soil.
- Through cuts or wounds present in the humans the spores are carried to the man.
- Thus once the spore enter the body of the human, it releases active bacteria & multiply & secrete powerful toxin in the blood.
- Neck becomes stiff
- Difficulty in chewing & swallowing
Why tetanus is called lock jaw?
It is so because the bacteria infects the nervous system and thus causes the muscles to tighten up and the muscles of jaws and neck also gets stiffen. Thus called lock jaw.